Drop in your 2018 taxes starting March 11th
LIPI offers the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). This program helps prepare income tax and benefit returns for eligible individuals who have a modest income and a simple tax situation. It begins in mid-March, and is run by volunteers.
Are you eligible for help?
You may be eligible if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Your total family income should be less than the amount shown in the chart. Check with your community organization as some organizations have different requirements.
Chart: suggested income level
|Family size||Total family income|
|One person with one dependant||$35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional dependant)|
|Couple||$40,000 (add $2,500 for each dependant)|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as CPP, disability, EI, social assistance
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- file for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
For more information, you can visit http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/volunteer/, or contact us.