Starting mid-March 2020!
You may be eligible to get your tax return done for free by volunteers if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Find out if you are eligible!
You may be eligible for help at a free tax clinic if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
In general, a modest income means your total family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below, based on the size of your family. Check with your local community organization, as they may set different amounts.
|Family size||Total family income is under…|
|More than 5 persons||$52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from any of these sources:
- benefits such as the Canada Pension Plan, disability insurance, employment insurance, and social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- filed for bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person